CATHERINE ENOS MANDT, M.S., M.A. AD/HD Coach
My coaching philosophy is to focus on the positive. Successes are celebrated and “failures” are used as learning tools. I understand how difficult the symptoms of ADHD can be. Part of my role as your coach is to help you stay focused on your goals. As your supportive partner during this journey of change, we work together to build external and internal structures that help you to plan ahead, follow through, and stay focused on the task at hand.
Successful coaching depends on honesty and a willingness to work at change. I believe that, with practice and commitment, positive change will happen.
The Therapeutic Coaching Process at Elkhart Psychological Services
- Integrative AD/HD Coaching is a specific set of interventions that help people set and achieve their goals in life. It helps develop structure and skills that reduce the problem created by AD/HD. Specifically, the goal of the coach is to help someone with AD/HD to:
- Understand and accept the unique ways in which ADHD affects all areas of life.
- Develop skills and strategies used to compensate for the deficits and difficulties caused by ADHD.
- Create and maintain a structure for managing time, space, and tasks.
- Establish effective strategies for maintaining focus and concentration.
- Identify, develop, and practice new interpersonal skills.
- Learn methods which help reduce over-reactive emotional responses.
- Obtain frequent feedback and ongoing support.
Understanding and accepting how ADHD affects you takes time. Setting aside your old habits and ways of thinking can also take some effort and time. Therefore, regular meetings and check-ins are an essential part of the coaching process. Usually, these meetings are in person, however, coaching sessions can also be done by phone or via e-mail if you wish. Although you should expect to see some changes in the first few weeks, the more lasting and internalized improvements typically take longer to develop.
One effective tool in this process is Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT), a brief and highly effective approach based on acupressure, which I will teach you if we become blocked in this journey forward. EFT can help you overcome challenges as you learn to manage the symptoms of AD/HD.
I am currently not taking new clients as of January 1, 2021.